Wednesday, September 24, 2014

Blog # 4

This blog post may feel a bit informal, which I hope isn't off-putting to you Gentle Reader. This is a hodge-podge of quotes from Nakamura's Cybertypes and Kristin Arola's It's My Revolution: Learning to See the Mixblood. Here we go:

Nakamura:
“The study of racial cybertypes bring together the cultural layer and the computer layer; that is to say, cybertyping is the process by which computer/human interfaces, the dynamics and economics of access, and the means by which users are able to express themselves online…” (3).

To put this into my own words, cybertypes are the ways in which people of color are viewed online, access issues that accompany the Internet, and how well people of color are able to show their identities online (this can be with regard to avatars, representation/non-representation in video games, or stereotypes of people of color-to name a few).

“I propose that a starting place for reseeing the mixedblood in contemporary terms is to look online to the spaces where users are asserting their identities in ways that illustrate not only the existence and persistence of the mixedblood, but whose visual, aural, and textual choices illustrate the complexities of this category and the embodied nature of the online self” (217).

Again, in my own words I rephrase this as: Let’s look at how people are rhetorically constructing their identities online, and how they chose to race or not race themselves based on their choices. I find this to be more compelling than Nakamura’s cybertyping in, although it’s only 12 years old- way young in human years, it’s already passé for online studies (not in its entirety, but some of the online spaces Nakamura looked at aren’t in vogue anymore). So now we have online communities such as Facebook, where folks can make certain choices about how they want to represent themselves. The Arola article got me thinking about my own: if a person was just creeping on my facebook page, and didn’t know me from Adam, what would they assume about me? I don’t use an actual photo of myself (it’s the panting of Girl with a Pearl Earring only instead of the girl in question, it’s a bulldog’s face). I do have my gender on there for all to see, but I don’t let the public see much more than that. So, what race would they guess I am?

So, whereas Nakamura is suggesting to shift the paradigm of how people of color are represented in online spaces “is to use its own metaphors against itself” (48), Arola makes the call to see how, in this case, mixbloods are representing themselves online, and to look rhetorically on the choices they are making to think through issues of race and identity.

Arola: “This “un-seeing” of Indians exists in part by the denial or brushing over of America’s bloody past and also through the belief that “real” Indians only exist in the stereotypes of what an Indian should look like, act like, and believe in. This act of unseeing comes with a host of problems for full-blooded Indians, including an unseeing by those in power of the political, economic, and social issues relevant to today’s Native American” (215).
Nakamura: “The idea of a nonstereotyped Asian male identity is so seldom enacted in LambdaMOO that its absence can only be read as a symptom of suppression” (39).

What I like about these two closely-related quotes is how stereotyped people of color are within popular culture. Riffing of off Arola’s thought, I too have notice that you never see an American Indian represented in street clothes, but rather always in full regalia; the spectacle of the Other, as Nakamura talks about throughout her book. This is much like how Asians are played onscreen: from Bruce Lee to Bai Ling, there’s a certain look Asian actors are supposed to have. It really is “a trap that fetishizes what it means to be American Indian” (216).  

No comments:

Post a Comment